*Updated: NEW OpenSubtitles no longer requires you to login, see How to Install OpenSubtitles on Kodi 17 Krypton (Updated! No login required)*
Tutorial how to fix Opensubtitles Kodi: Error Searching for Subtitles. The most common message for the error says “Your opensubtitles.org username or password is empty or not valid”
Opensubtitles.org is the most popular Kodi add-on that provides reliable subtitles for any movies. The subtitles is always up to date, and available in multi languages.
Unlike Subscene, to use Opensubtitles on Kodi, you need to login for using their service. Therefore, you need to register first to opensubtitles.org websites (its free, no credit card and such).
However some of users did some mistakes when registering the new account. What does it means?
How to fix Opensubtitles Kodi: Error Searching for Subtitles
If you see that message, means you failed to provide the correct account information on your Kodi configuration for opensubtitles. Here the common causes why this happened
- You haven’t registered to opensubtitle.org.
- You got the wrong page to register. Commonly, the users mistaken and ended register to the opensubtitles forum (http://forum.opensubtitles.org/ucp.php?mode=register), which is wrong. The correct page to register for using subtitle service is http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/newuser. The login account for the two pages are completely different
- You have registered to opensubtitles.org but not yet configure it on your Kodi. Follow steps below to set up your account on Kodi.
How to Configure Opensubtitles Account on Kodi
This guide to only configure the opensubtitles account for Kodi. So, I assume you have installed this opensubtitle addon, see How to Add Opensubtitles on Kodi.
Now, follow the steps below
- From Home page -> Add–ons -> My add-ons. On the right tab, scroll it down then select Subtitles.
- There will be Opensubtitles.org on the list, click it.
- A new window will appears, look at the bottom of the page. Click Configure
- Now, enter the correct account information on the login detail.
- Click then type your username
- Do the same for the password. Careful, don’t MISTYPE your password.
- If all are set, then click OK
- Now, head to the Home Page and play your movie. On the right-bottom click Subtitle then select Download (using default skin kodi Krypton).
- At this point, Kodi will automatically login to Opensubtitles. After you successfully logged in, the error wont show again. Now, select the subtitle with 5 rating for the best result. and Done
Additional tips: It is wise to pause your movie first when you are going to get the subtitle. Just wait for a moment, this step is to make sure the connection is not burdened by your current streaming when attempting to login to opensubtitles.
All those steps work fine for me, however if you still unable to login, you can try Subscene instead. No login required. To do this see how to add subtitle on kodi 17 krypton, make sure you select Subscene when come to point number 4 on that page.
That is how to fix Opensubtitles Kodi: Error Searching for Subtitles. If there any other errors regarding to this topic, please comment below. Hope this help