Kodi basic function as media player is to play already downloaded video files or watch offline movies. Many tutorials out there cover the guide to stream movies online, but missing the simplest tips how to use Kodi to play movies from your local storage.
So, today I will show you how to play movies using Kodi Krypton from your local storage, hard drive or SD card as the source. If you already got packs of movie collection and want to play it using Kodi, then read through the end of article.
In case you haven’t download any movie, you can read the previous tutorial How to Download Movies on Kodi Exodus for Offline Viewing
Let’s get started
- Launch your Kodi Krypton
- Go to Home Page > Videos > Files
- Select Add videos…
- Click Browse
- Find and select folder where you save the movie files. If you have sub-folder in your directory, you don’t have to browse deep into the last folder of your file, you can just select the parent directory of your folder.
- Next, name your directory source then click OK
- A new window will pop up. You can set information for your selected directory for library list and organizing purpose (optional)
- Select what kind of videos on your directory
- Once set, hit OK
- Message will pop ups asking for refresh page, click YES
- After refresh, your movie folder is on the list. Select and play your movies
That is how to watch offline movies using Kodi krypton from your storage. You can use Kodi as alternative for your default media player on your devices. Kodi offline viewing performance can be compared with other well known media player such as VLC or MPlayer classic. Kodi has capability to play even 4k resolution.